UGA Women’s Tennis: #4 Bulldogs Down #8 Texas Tech, 4-1
MADISON, Wis. – The fourth-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team defeated No. 8 Texas Tech Sunday evening in the consolation portion of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
“Our team did a good job today,” Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace said, “It is never easy when you have a disappointing loss, but you have to come right back the next day to play at a high level. We talked a lot about the importance of doing that and how great teams have that ability to put things behind them and stay in the moment. I was glad to see this team was able to do it.”
Improving to a perfect 6-for-6 in the doubles point this season, Georgia (5-1) again had the early 1-0 edge on its opponent. Singles wins to secure the match victory came in succession from freshman Annette Goulak, then seniors Mariana Gould and Kennedy Shaffer.
The Georgia duo of Annette Goulak and Kennedy Shaffer quickly bested TT’s Lana Rush and Alex Valenstein, 6-2. The other two matches were mirror images at 5-4 and 4-5 at one point, but the Bulldogs reached 6-4 first to seal the doubles point. The 18th-ranked twosome of Katarina Jokic and Gould recorded the clinch to mark their third win at the National Indoors and second clinch. On the season, Jokic/Gould are 18-3 overall and 6-0 in the dual season.
In singles at court No. 6, Goulak, one of Georgia’s four freshmen on the roster, powered past TT’s Reagan Collins, 6-1, 6-1. Goulak, of Oak Park, Calif., moves to 2-0 in the dual season and 14-4 overall.
Shortly after, Gould put Georgia up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Red Raider junior Lana Rush on court No. 5. The Georgia senior concludes the National Indoors with a 3-0 singles record – her first completed dual matches of the season.
Texas Tech continued to threaten by picking up a point on court No. 4 to make it 3-1, and leading on another court. However, sophomore Marta Gonzalez forced a third set and then Georgia’s Shaffer shut the door on court No. 2 for the Bulldog win. The matchup between Shaffer and Felicity Maltby, ranked No. 44 in ITA singles, was notched a 3-3 and 5-5 prior to Shaffer clinching.
Georgia starts the outdoor portion of the schedule against seventh-ranked Georgia Tech on February 24 at 3 p.m. in Atlanta, Ga.
Tennis Match Results
Texas Tech vs Georgia
Feb 11, 2018 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
Georgia 4, Texas Tech 1
1. #8 Katarina Jokic (UGA) vs. #13 Gabriela Talaba (TTU) 4-6, 3-5, unfinished
2. Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. #44 Felicity Maltby (TTU) 6-3, 7-5
3. #39 Marta Gonzalez (UGA) vs. #72 Sabrina Federici (TTU) 1-6, 6-2, 0-1,unfinished
4. #108 Sarah Dvorak (TTU) def. #71 Morgan Coppoc (UGA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Mariana Gould (UGA) def. Lana Rush (TTU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Annette Goulak (UGA) def. Reagan Collins (TTU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Elena Christofi/Morgan Coppoc (UGA) vs. Sabrina Federici/Sarah Dvorak (TTU) 4-5, unfinished
2. #18 Katarina Jokic/Mariana Gould (UGA) def. Felicity Maltby/Gabriela Talaba (TTU) 6-4
3. Kennedy Shaffer/Annette Goulak (UGA) def. Lana Rush/Alex Valenstein (TTU) 6-2
Texas Tech 5-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,5,4,2)
Quarterfinal consolation match of ITA Indoor National Championships